Monday, 18 June 2012

Diversion in to Jewellery


It was a quiet weekend in the studio as there was a lot going on in the village with the start of feast week so I thought I would share something I made recently. I was inspired to make this brooch after a visit to the V&A in London. In the jewellery collection in amongst the the fabulous Gold, Diamonds etc there is a collection of jewellery made from less exotic materials such as Iron, Aluminium and Brass.  One of the pieces that caught my eye was by Alexander Calder the American artist who invented Dynamic art by creating the first mobiles, and whose work I love.  When I got home I just had to make something. This brooch is made from paper thin brass to which I have given a hammered finish to catch the light the pin is attached to the center which allows the whole thing to vibrate when worn. As a first attempt I am really pleased with it I am planning to make some more designs experimenting with other metals.

No comments:

Post a Comment